Friday, July 24, 2020

Time for a new Fixit Shop


It's been a while, and it seems it's time for a  new Fixit Shop.  I've started cleaning up around here, if anyone is still around you may notice a few changes here and there.  I'm also actually building a new Fixit Shop in meat space as well. 

A few years ago the wife and I bought some land and had a plan.  The immediate plan at the time was to build a "Barndominium" house to move into fairly quickly, and then to plan and build a 'real' house in a couple of years.  Well, we were at the point where the kids getting older, the oldest had been out on his own for a few years, middle son was about to leave for college and middle son would follow in a couple years.  We decided to stay in the Barnodinium. 

However, the original plan had been to build a house and then take in much of the living space and convert it to shop space.  Since we weren't moving, shop space never happened.  The growing mound of clutter and additional tools have made it very hard to actually do anything.  So, I am now building a detached shop building.  I'm excited.


Just a couple of days ago I got the concrete poured.  Since I have Champagne taste and a beer budget, I'm putting a lot of sweat equity into this.  Basically I'm doing 90% of the building myself, with he help of the youngest son who is now home from college for the summer.  We did the dirt work to build up the pad, and then set forms and leveled the interior.  I had a crew come in to set the steel and pour the concrete because that is just not a 1 or 2 man job and you can't do it at your own pace.

With the concrete done and curing, I now have a load of steel to do the framework.  This will be a 30x40 building with 12 foot sidewalls.  I need a 10 foot tall door to be able to get a tractor in, which requires the 12' walls.  The plan is for metal R-panel siding and spray foam insulation.  This would be a lot more fun if it wasn't already so hot.  

My plan is to keep a build log here, and maybe show some 'how-to' or at least 'how-I-did-it" in case anyone else is a glutton for punishment and want's to do their own.  If anyone has questions or comments, they are welcome.  I'm turning comments on with the hope I don't get spammed or no one gets stupid.  



No comments:

Post a Comment