Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11/2013

A repost from 2009, it still expresses how I feel:

My goal is not to offend, although I might.

I may be one of the few, if not only, firemen in America to hate what this day has become.

In September and October of 2001, people looked to firefighters as hero's, all of them from the rookie firefighter in Arizona, to the grizzled veteran in New York.

Already they were glancing over the NYPD and Port Authority, as well as NY EMS, and the heroic contributions they made. And many would never recognize the folks who fought back on flight 93.

Now, what those folks did was truly heroic, don't get me wrong. The folks who were there, were and are hero's. But how does that translate to the firefighter in Texas? Why would you look at me as a hero, based on what someone did in New York?

And now, there has been a cry out for a "firefighter day". This has largely been pushed, as I understand it, by firefighters and their associated groups. All of this has morphed in Patriots day.

Where is the recognition of the horror that thousands of innocent citizens were put through? Where is the outrage and cries of vengeance against those who caused this?

Why are we honoring police, fire, and military for doing their job? That's right, I said it. It was their job. If I die tomorrow while on duty at an emergency, it may be heroic or maybe not, it may be an accident, or it may be because someone else decided to kill folks. But you know what? When I signed up I knew the job was dangerous. I'll never expect a day to be named for me, or to celebrate me.

Make no mistake, the men and women who died while trying to save others were hero's to me. But it was there job to be hero's.

Today, instead of recognizing people for doing what was expected, I'm going to spend some time thinking about the folks who were murdered. I'm going to think of the sons and daughters who will never be there to celebrate fathers day or mothers day again. I'm going to think about the newly weds who will never have the chance to raise children, and the children who will never get to know their parents. I'll think about the children who died, who might have grown up to be a president, or a business owner, or who might have cured cancer, or invented the car that gets 100miles per gallon.

Today, I'll think about the people who died only because they were Americans. And I'll think about the immigrants who died because they were with and wanted to be Americans.

And last, I will think about those who caused this. I will think of their hatred and intolerance. I will pity their small selfish ideologies. And I will look forward to the day when vengeance is visited on them.

Mr Fixit 

  

No comments: