Monday, October 25, 2010

Update: Coming soon to an Academy near you

In response to Frank C who asked how the academy was going:

The academy will start soon, I'm not in it yet.  I've been assigned to go.  So, I've been getting ready. 

One of the first pieces of information I got, after getting the assignment, was about gear.  I'll be getting a new issue of "academy uniforms".  The blue fire department stuff is out, and the new academy stuff will be brown with some tactical black BDU's thrown in. 

I have been told that of course I will be issued a weapon.  I have no choice, the issue weapon is a Glock 17. Now don't get me wrong, I think highly of Glocks.  In fact, my everyday concealed carry is a Glock 26.  But do you realize how freakin' huge a G17 is?  It's not the sort of thing I think about carrying when I think about what amounts to a plain clothes detective.  The departments firearm policy is pretty much the same as the PD's, meaning that you can carry the issue piece or supply your own as long as it passes inspection of the PD Armorer.  Basically, you can carry any quality weapon you want.  If it is 9mm, the department will provide both training and carry ammo.  If another caliber you supply your own.

I can tell you right now that I'm not going to carry a G17 everyday.  So the liberal firearms policy leaves the door wide open to options.  I'll be thinking about it.  I'm thinking at least about a 1911 Commander.   But that decision is down the road, I'll attend the academy with a G17 like a good little boy.

Oh, but before the academy, I have to go take a medical and psychological physical.  The medical is no biggie.  But the psych interview.....  I'm trying to decide if I want to sing the chorus from Alice's Restaurant, or just whisper "The Horror" when he says hello.


I'm honestly a little worried about the Academy.  It's like a REAL academy, with young kids learning how to act, running, obstacle courses, spit shined boots, uniform inspections and generally the stuff I had to do 17 years ago when I got hired with the fire department.   It's likely I'll be the oldest person there, possibly including the instructors I have been told. 

Oh well, it should make for some interesting blog fodder at least.  If I have the energy and time to post it.

Mr Fixit

1 comment:

farmist said...

"you can carry any quality weapon you want. If it is 9mm, the department will provide both training and carry ammo. If another caliber you supply your own.

I can tell you right now that I'm not going to carry a G17 everyday."

...but it WILL be 9mm, yes?

wv:monasts