Sunday, October 31, 2010

Thinking out loud

Farmist asked a question in comments on the last post. I had made the statement that I would not be carrying my official issue weapon on duty after the academy (a full size Glock 17). I also stated that due to the fairly liberal weapons policy, I could carry anything I wanted as long as it passed the PD range masters inspection. If I carry a 9mm weapon, the department will supply training and carry ammo. If I choose another caliber, I have to supply my own. So, the question was asked: "...but it WILL be 9mm, yes?" And the answer is, I'm not sure.

I'm not trying to start a caliber debate, and I think 9mm is perfectly adequate. I happen to think some other calibers are better at various things, but right now my daily CCW is a 9mm. And having the department supply training ammo is a plus. But.....

I happen to think 9mm is really popular for a couple of reasons. First, it's small enough to be carried in smaller guns which make it great for concealed carry. It also has enough power to offer 'knock down power' if you have to use it. It has light recoil which makes it good for those who are sensitive to recoil. It's fairly cheap in comparison so more practice is affordable.

But what if you don't need those 'advantages' of 9mm? I'm not into punishment, but I have little trouble with recoil up to about a .44 magnum. On duty, I will be 'open carrying', so small size and concealability are not a big concern. I can't argue with free ammo, but it's not like they would let me shoot as much as I want anyway. I'm not sure what the training budget for ammo is, but I'm thinking a box of ammo a month is close.

I have an old Argentine Sistema, which is in all practical aspects a Colt 1911 in .45. I like it a lot.
I guess if I ended up with a 1911 style pistol, it would have to be in .45acp. If it were another weapon, say a SIG maybe, I might be just as happy with a 9mm.

I admit, I am leaning toward rewarding myself with a nice Commander style 1911 after the academy. If not a 1911, I'll still have to get another pistol of some sort, cause I still ain't carrying a Glock 17 all day in plain clothes.

Suggestions, justifications, and arguments on caliber and pistol always welcome.

Mr Fixit

4 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

Dude, you're gonna be a Texas lawman.

Carry the 1911, in a hand-tooled leather holster. With a Stetson. And cowboy boots.

Look the part, fer Chrissakes! ;)

farmist said...

I admit, I was thinking of the "free" training ammo. I lean more towards the 10mm myself, but ammo is $$$.
Wishing you success in the Academy.

Anonymous said...

I have a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. Also a 1991A1 Combat Commander in .45 ACP. It would be nice to pick up another in electroless nickel, or stainless. Too bad I started buying Commanders so late, they are pricy these days.

The 9mm Commander is an interesting gun. It is a little cheaper to shoot than the .45 and holds a couple more rounds. I keep talking about using it in IDPA but haven't really done so yet.

Mr. Fixit said...

Yeah AD, I was kinda thinking about a semi barbeque gun.

Mr Fixit