Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fire Department Fashion

What do you see in your mind when you think of a fireman?  Ok, outside of the bunker gear and the big red truck? 

Seems some folks around here are looking at uniforms and wanting to change what we wear.  Some of the ideas are polo shirts, and (I kid you not) tactical pants.  A few complain about our current uniform, and at least a few say it makes us look like a private ambulance company.  I'm not sure why that is a bad thing, just saying it is a complaint I've heard.

So I'm askin'.   Describe what you think of as a typical fireman in a day to day uniform.  Bonus points if you suggest what you would like as an updated uniform.

Mr Fixit

3 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

T shirt, shorts, and flip flops. At least that's what the FD I respond with wears during the summer. Well, sometimes they don't wear the flip flops.

Yesterday was casual Monday, I guess, since no two of them had the same T shirt on.

Seriously, how about uniform pants (fire resistant of course), a uniform shirt (with agency patches), and slip off station boots?

I laugh when I see fire fighters show up at medical calls wearing their turn out gear. I've had more than one patient complain about the burned building smell after the fire fighters leave.

Unless you are responding to a fire or some similar call, turn out gear is not appropriate.

Texas Ghostrider said...

I like the traditional uniform during the day, when john and jane citizens are out and about and the t-shirts in the wee hours of the mornings.

Turn out gear is only worn here for good fires.

CBEMT said...

Sounds like some of your coworkers forgot where they came from, as usual.