Sunday, August 1, 2010

TANSTAAFL

There are a couple of sayings I taught my youngest son, which he hasn't forgotten; "Real men don't eat quiche" and "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

Now admittedly one of them isn't exactly true, it's the spirit of the saying that matters. But the other is an absolute fact. After I explained them he kind of understood about the quiche, but he took to the no free lunch idea with relish.

Which brings us to Saturday.

We went to the Houston Space Center for a 'daycation'. While we were there I showed him a poster about retiring the space shuttle. Seems they want to bring one home to Houston. The poster said if you write a letter asking for a shuttle to come to Houston, you get a free NASA patch.
He looked at me and said "You know it's not free!"
But it says it is I replied.
"UH! You have to do something to get a patch. That's not free!"

And he stopped, looked at me and I swear to the great pumpkin wagged his finger at me in the middle of Space Center Houston and said "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!"

That might have been the coolest thing I saw on the trip.

Mr Fixit

2 comments:

FrankC said...

TANSTAFFL. Probably the best lesson he'll ever learn, and you've taught him well.

OldeForce said...

Waiting in the cafeteria line behind a truly stupid VP and a senior suit from the home office. I asked for the quiche, and the VP made his comment. My reply was that "real men eat anything they want", and the suit almost fell on the floor laughing. Never had another word out of the VP. [Yeah, it probably cost me a promotion, but the quiche was great!]