Friday, February 26, 2010

The Change

My locker is empty., the key left for someone else.

My bunker gear is bagged up for storage.

My paper work has been signed off, I am no longer a Paramedic for my department.

Coincidentally, I am no longer a firefighter either.

As of Monday, I am a Fire Inspector.

Now, I still work for my fire department.  I am still a Lieutenant, and my pay and benefits hasn't changed.  I've been 'laterally transferred' into a different division.  I am no longer in the Operations division, I am now in the Prevention division.  My job will be to do fire inspections of businesses.

It is not a transfer I wanted.  I have been reminded several times that the Fire Chief can move anyone anywhere he wants.  I am not happy about it, but there is not much I can do about it it seems.

I have been 'looking back' over my career of late and thinking how much it is changing.


I'll have to tell you how many things I've seen things change in my time so far.

Mr Fixit

2 comments:

Lawyer said...

I hope all goes well for you. Having just left a job I love for one I don't really care for, I can kind-of relate. Of course, mine was my choice, and yours--not so much, but I wish you the best.

The Bad Lieutenant said...

I feel your pain. I was transferred from my position as OIC of our Communications Engineering Unit (aka, the folks with all the cool toys) to the night shift in our Communications Center. Not by choice.

I make myself feel better every night by saying, "this beats being unemployed".

Good luck!