Thursday, November 12, 2009

More on reloading

Thanks for all the help so far, please keep it coming.

To clarify a bit perhaps;

The need/desire to start reloading is based on the fact that (A) I can't find ammo for some of the rifles I own, and (B) some of the ammo I can find for the other rifles is expensive. As it is right now, I have a rifle that would be hard and ridiculously expensive to buy ammo for, therefore I can't shoot it. Having a rifle I can't shoot is totally unacceptable.

Strings, I would justify getting started reloading by being able to load some hard to find ammo such as .303 or 7.5 Swiss. But, I would also (since the equipment is there anyway) load for the others that I have i.e. .223/5.56, 7.62/.308, and possible 9mm and .45 assuming it would be cheaper. I don't think right now I could load 8mm or 7.62x54R cheaper than I can get surplus so for now those would be left alone.

Jim Bob, believe me I wouldn't fiddle around. I just wouldn't obsess over most of my hand loads. Finding a load that would deliver minute-of-man accuracy at 500yds would likely be the end of my load development. The major percentage of my reloads would be for fun plinking. I can see that I would develop a few 'pet' loads for hunting or maybe target work, but mostly I'm happy with the accuracy of store bought ammo.

I would like to be able to take some time and load to have a 'stock pile' for when it's time to go shoot.

And I fully understand that saving money is not why I would get into reloading. But I would be spending less than I would otherwise by buying 'ready rolled'.

Jim Bob, thanks for the offer, drop me an e-mail at thefixitshop@gmail.com.

Thanks all
Mr Fixit

Hope that helps a little.

2 comments:

Strings said...

given all that, I'd say the kit you posted would work. Keep in mind, it's another addiction that will bring home more equipment (trust me on this).

Right now, you're thinking "more ammo for the same $". Then, in a year or two, you're not just going "Need to have 5K rounds of 45", but "Need 3k of the load for THIS gun, and..." ;)

Anonymous said...

First thing you need is a reloading book.

Then you need to read that book (not the whole book, just the part that explains WHY you need to do each thing that you need to do. Call it three chapters)

Try the Hornady book, because I like the illustrations.

The other thing you need is a mentor - someone to help you set up each die the first time around, and show you the ropes.

I would recommend starting with a single stage press, so you learn what the heck each step is about. I wound up with a progressive press, because I don't have enough time or patience to do five separate operations to each case to produce one round of ammunition. I am glad I didn't start out progressive, because the thing is finicky.

As to safety, nobody who doesn't push it is going to get into trouble - it is only when you are going to extremes that you blow things up. And not even then, usually.

Follow the starting load published recipe in the book, and you will shoot lots, and learn more. It is only when you decide that you just HAVE to have that last 50 fps that you get into trouble, and nothing you shoot will ever notice the difference.