Tuesday, November 3, 2009

More on the Enfield

Been working a bit on my Ishy Enfield the last few days. The stock is absolutely saturated with oil and/or cosmoline. Having a heck of a time getting it all out.

So far, I have been soaking in acetone, and alternating between sitting the stock in a black trash bag on the dash of my truck to heat it and help the oil sweat out, and then soaking in acetone to dissolve the oil.

I am happily surprised. The stock, as it arrived on the rifle, was very dark. Very very dark. We're talking black coffee dark. I thought it was some type of exotic dark wood. As I cleaned it up, the top forearm pieces were considerably lighter in color. The surprising part is that as I continue to clean oil out of the lower stock and butt stock, they are lightning up to match the other pieces.

I've already painted the metal of the rifle in flat black Duplicolor high heat engine paint with ceramic. I also highlighted all the lettering and stampings with white. Believe me, it looks much better than the 'factory' paint job it came with. Should last longer too.

Now, if I could just get the oil soaked stock clean and dry. And decide just which oil finish to use.... Suggestions?

Mr Fixit

2 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

Tung Oil or Boiled Lindseed Oil. Enfields were finished with either. No varnish, just oil. At least the British and US made ones I've had were. One of mine was a 1943 BSA made No1 MkIII that had been rearsenaled. The furniture had been bleached or steamed to get all of the old finish out of it, and was very lightly colored as a result. I used several coats of BLO, sanding with 0000 steel wool between each coat. It came out very nice, if I do say so myself. It was also a bit darker, but that's to be expected.

farmist said...

For removing the oil/cosmolene, I would wrap it in multiple layers of gauze and newsprint, and bake it in the oven for several hours.