Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tough enough

Anybody else love the Fabulous Thunderbirds?

...For you baby I would swim the sea
Nothin' I'd do for you that's too tough for me.
I'd put out a burning building with a shovel and dirt,
And not even worry about getting hurt.
Ain't that tough enough......



October is a busy month. Of course you all know it's fire safety month, right? Right?

But it's more than that. First, let me show you a couple of posts of mine from a while back;
Post 1
Post 2
Post 3
Post 4

If you spent the time reading those, you already know. If not, the short version is that My wife and I have lived through that awful feeling of finding a lump in her breast. We made it through, it turned out to be just a benign spot. But I will never forget the terror, the crying, the worry.

I have told you all of that so that you will understand a little more about what I am about to tell you, my hearts in it.

In July, at the 41st Biennial Convention of the Texas State Association of Fire Fighters, a resolution was passed which has resulted in fire fighters across the state helping in the fight against breast cancer. The result of which is that in October, mainly around the 25th, 26th and 27th, Firefighters across the state will be wearing pink T-shirts in place of their blue duty uniforms.

My own department has graciously agreed to let us participate. Participation means that each firefighter buys a pink T-shirt to wear, and the proceeds go to the Susan G Komen For the Cure Foundation. When I heard about this, I knew that I would be wearing one. I wondered how many other guys would do it.

Folks, we can't keep the shirts in stock! Everyone is buying them. Firefighters are buying them for themselves, wives, girlfriends, sisters, and kids. In fact, I went to get some for me and my wife, and they were gone. I'll have to get in on the second order.

But I will get in!

Am I tough enough to wear pink?
For her?

Yeah, I'm tough enough.

Mr Fixit

4 comments:

Matt M said...

Help! Post 3 and Post 4 go to the same link.

I want to see how this tale ends. Fix the link, Mr. Tough Guy.

Mr. Fixit said...

Sorry, link fixed. thanks for the heads up.

farmist said...

"only a man secure in his sexuality can wear pink"

I will wear pink, but don't support Komen Foundation.

Brigid said...

Yes you are. She's lucky to have such support.