Friday, October 30, 2009

Odds and Enfields

I have heard it said that if you lock a fireman in a room with 2 steel balls, when you come back one will be lost and the other broken.
And I don't actually know anyone who has broken an anvil, although I know a couple of guys are suspects in a few cases.
That being said, I have to confess to breaking a spring. How do you break a spring you ask? Apparently you ask a fireman to remove it from a rifle.

Folks, I'm in trouble. 'Cause it's not just one spring involved in this story, it's two.

I bought an Indian Enfield over a year ago, maybe 2 years. It came all slathered in cosmoline, the stock full of oil. The black paint, which is the 'normal' finish on it was melting off under the cosmoline. So, I took it apart, cleaned it, painted it with black Duplicolor high heat ceramic engine paint, and just kind of left it sitting around in parts. Over the last couple of days I've been back working on it and today I found that the extractor spring is broken. Not only that, but the rear sight detent spring is gone.

Yep, one spring broken, one spring lost.

So, if any of you gunnies out there just happen to have an extra extractor spring and/or a rear sight detent spring for an Indian 2A Enfield, I could really use them. Or a direction to look for them would be great too.

Mr Fixit

6 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

http://www.e-gunparts.com/

That's where I went when I broke the extractor spring on my No1 MKIII. A great source for all sorts of used and new gun parts. Send them a copy of your C&R and you'll get dealer pricing too.

Is that Ishy a .303 or a .308?

Mr. Fixit said...

Gary,
It's a .308. I wonder if the springs are the same for the .303's.

Mr Fixit

Brigid said...

Sorry, my gun collection is still a bit limited. Hopefully someone will have the part you need.

I had not heard that about the steel balls. ha!!

TOTWTYTR said...

I don't know. I've never seen a separate parts list for Ishys, so on a guess, I'd say they are the same.

R.H. Brown said...

Buy another one and use this one for parts? http://www.collectorssource.com/category.asp?catid=11

Buddy said...

I have had both types, and can tell you the springs are NOT the same! Try Numrich Arms or Lee's Gun Parts in Irving, TX... just don't ask me how I know!