Monday, August 17, 2009

Looking

I've been talking to folks for a while, looking for places to hunt deer this season with my son and father. The way things are in Texas, most hunting is paid for. Private owners rent or lease their land to hunters, they are paying for the privilege and the exclusivity of hunting there. At least that's the way it is for deer and most large game. There are still some 'good ol' boys' who let friends hunt dove or squirrel for free and fun, but mostly you have to pay to play.

That's fine I guess. I'm not against it really. I've paid for several leases over the years, some better than others, some down right terrible. Problem for me is that I have several sons. Not many people want to let me on a lease to pay for one portion and then bring my sons. They usually want you to pay the same additional cost for each hunter.

That leaves me in quite the pickle. With most leases going for $1000 per person per year, with 3 sons that comes to quite a fee.

SO, I've been looking for smaller places that just myself, sons and my dad can lease to our selves. That way we just split the cost and take whoever and whenever. So far I have been unsuccessful in finding anything.

Good news though, I will be trying to get my middle son into the youth hunting program. They have youth only hunts, usually free, often for management animals. At least he would get to hunt and likely get something.

There are also some drawn hunts in Texas I will apply for, and of course the public hunting permit that lets us go on over a million acres of public land. Although my last experience with public land hunting was a bad one.

But that's a story for another time.

Mr Fixit

No comments: