Thursday, July 30, 2009

There is one in every crowd

This blog thing has been very interesting to me. I have had the privilege of meeting a couple of fellow bloggers. I have been honored to 'speak' with a few more, via phone in one case, and email or comments in the others. I feel simply awed at the amount of talent and intelligence I have encountored since starting this little blog.

And then there are the readers. I have corresponded with Doctors, both MD and PhD.. Nurses, mechanics, teachers, office workers, and even other firefighters. Some of the folks in the United States, some outside in other countries.

I remember when I started this blog, and desperately wanted to 'make it'. Wanted to be recognized by other bloggers, wanted to be linked. I wanted to belong.

Today, I asked that a link to my blog be removed from another blog.

I still want to be linked. I still want to feel like I am playing with the big kids. My ego wants badly to feel included.

So why ask to remove a link?

An ugly thing, maybe the most ugly thing I know of. Racism. That's right, the other blog espoused a belief system that sees non-whites as lesser people. I don't know why, I don't care why. Don't get me wrong, if that is the system of beliefs he/she want to express I say more power to you.

But don't include me in your group.

Aside from the varied folks I have interacted with on this blog; in the real world/meat space I have worked with people from India, Iran, Jordan, Turkey, China, Japan, Mexico, Ethiopia, Israel, Russia, and Canada. I have found jerks in every group, but I have found good people to be the far larger segment.

Incidentally, Many if not all of those in my blog roll were linked on that page as well.

And no, I won't publicise the blog. If you are a blogger and want to know email or comment and I will pass it on.

Mr Fixit

2 comments:

Brigid said...

I'm not sure who, but if you wish to tell me in a private comment you can.

I don't agree with everyone that links me, and I always don't approve of everything said of those I link, though I still like them for the qualities that made me link them in the first place.

I have people that I know and genuinely like in real life that I don't link to because their blog persona's would offend my folks who read a lot. They understand.

I understand your reasoning, small lines, in the sand, drawn.

Texas Ghostrider said...

I am sick and tired of racism. I am tired of it from both sides. I have not been included because of it. One day I hope people with judge others not by their skin but by their merit. If my link is on that other site let me know. I also want to belong but not in that way.