Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Something wicked this way comes

My middle son is now in 7th grade. He has played sports in school, and likes them. He likes basketball most of all. That fact alone is surprising, what with him having my genes and both my relative height, and coordination. He actually does pretty well and has fun, but already the other boys skills are growing faster than his. He realized it himself, and brought it to my attention.

Along the same lines, he also likes to hit the golf ball at the driving range. Since dealing with a severely broken arm in first grade, and the resulting 2 surgeries and lots of physical therapy since then, he has not had as much practice time in baseball, basketball, and football as all the other boys. He wasn't allowed to play contact sports for several years. But hitting golf balls was encouraged.

Our school has a golf team, but only in high school. You can qualify for the golf team as a freshman in high school, by the way.

He has set a goal to make the golf team his freshman year, now only a little over a year and a half away. He is working on it already.

We made a deal. I bought him a new set of clubs (the first ones he's had that weren't garage sale finds) and in return he is to keep the yard mowed. I can't tell you how much it warmed my heart the other day to see him walking outside after school, and when I asked where he was going was told he thought he better mow before it rained again. He seems to have taken the entire situation seriously.

And I have been trying to coach him in golf. We have practiced our grips and swings. He is learning quickly and now I find myself in trouble. You see, I suck at golf. I like to get my moneys worth when I play, so I take lots of swings. My greatest achievement in golf thus far is that I have finally made it around 18 holes with the same ball I started with, not having to grab another when I lost it in the water, and woods, and out of bounds. Next I will be working to get my scores down into double digits

Thus far in our training relationship I am reminded of the saying "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!"

He wants to find a "golf camp" (one time at golf camp...) this summer. we could both use real lessons.

Oh, and he still likes hunting and shooting, so it's not like we're trading one for another.
This can only mean one thing. We are headed for another expensive hobby.

Mr Fixit

3 comments:

Lawyer said...

All I've ever had have been expensive hobbies. Guns. Photography. 5 aquariums. Golf. Well actually, I gave up golf when I realized my friends only invited me for the laughs. They called my golf game...entertaining.

Mr. Fixit said...

I know how you feel. I once asked a friend on the course what my handicap was. He honestly said "lack of ability".

Brigid said...

Are there any CHEAP hobbies that are fun? Glad you are doing that, he will enjoy it. All of my brothers are big into golfing. My handicap is somewhere around my IQ.

But I have fun driving the cart for them!