Friday, May 15, 2009

The Oath

Tuesday, May 19th, I will be sworn in for a second term as a school board trustee.

"I, _______________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm), that I will faithfully execute the duties of the office of ___________________ of the State of Texas, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States and of this State, so help me God."

In these times I am trying very hard to understand completely, to grok if you will, the entirety of that oath.

I think I have a pretty good handle on the "execute the duties of the office" part. 

"... and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States and of this State, so help me God."


It's that last part that really deserves some thinking.

Mr Fixit

1 comment:

Larry said...

Wow. Pretty heavy oath for a school board trustee.

My oath for the US Navy had a similar line, about defending the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.