Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Help me with .22 rifles

I've been keeping an eye out for good deals on .22 rifles for a while. I haven't found what I consider a steal yet, so I continue to look.

I'm really torn between the new shiny models, and the older more robust examples found on the used market. There is just something about an older steel and walnut rifle that whispers 'quality'. Whereas the new shiny models necessarily scream "look at me! I'm just as good."

For my purposes, plinking with my sons, either would do. I hate for it to come down to making the decision based only on price. I'd love to find a good deal on either though.

To that end, I have recently found a Remington 552 Speedmaster (ADL) in a pawn shop. It looks good, not terribly worn, with just a little bit oh honest wear. I picked it up, the tag read $149. I hesitated a bit, then handed it back. I wonder if that is a good price, considering what it is and the condition. Opinions, thoughts?

For a plinker for my son I am pretty much set on getting a semi-auto, and tube fed at that if possible. But, I am open to suggestions. The middle son is due a .22 of his own, and that's what I'm looking for now. My list of qualities I want in it for him are: Semi-auto, tube fed preferred. Decent accuracy. Good quality. And of course a reasonable price for Dad.

Yeah, I know. That sounds like a Wal-Mart plastic stock .22 to me too. But I was hoping for something with a little more...panache.

Secondary to a rifle for him, I'm considering a scoped bolt-action .22 for both or all of us. Something along the lines of a 40-X, without the price tag. Again, I ask for suggestions.

Mr Fixit

4 comments:

Carteach0 said...

Why a semi auto?

Take the boys shopping with you, and look at used stuff. Tell them the price limit, and bring them into the decision.

My dad gave me a decision like that when I was about 14... and I chose a Marlin bolt action over anything else. I was interested in all the accuracy I could wring from it, and I wanted a rifle I could work on.

They might enjoy that speedmaster, it's a fine little rifle at a good price. They might prefer a lever action if they can get it, with visions of cowboy shooting in their head. In our state, a semi auto is fun but not allowed for hunting, so that would be a factor.

My preference is for quality used firearms. They are seldom worn out, and they can have a serious character factor going on.

Mr. Fixit said...

Good question.

I didn't tell the middle son I was thinking of buying a rifle for him. We did discuss his Savage Cub rifle, and the Savage target models he shot in 4-H. We talked in general terms about what gun he might want. I even reminded him about his granddad's Marlin M39A.

We talked in general terms and he 'decided' he wanted a semi.

Now, having said that, if I were to walk in with a 'new' rifle of any type and offer it to him as his own, he would be tickled pink. The type wouldn't matter at that point.

But, given his stated desire at this point for a semi-auto, I just thought I might start there.

Here in Texas, semi is legal for hunting, so that won't affect the decision.

Bob said...

A Remington Nylon 66 is a great semiauto, if you can find one. They're rugged, reliable, light, and have a tubular magazine. You'll rarely hear a bad word said about them, other than being slightly difficult to strip for cleaning.

Anonymous said...

Marlin makes good 22s by reputation. the Ruger 10-22 is a great rifle but pricier maybe then what you are looking for. That speedmaster would be fine and as I own one I agree with Bob about the nylon 66. As to the price I have not kept up but I think it has become a seller's market mostly due to the recent election.