Monday, February 23, 2009

Changes, again

Life moves on and things change.

Not hope and change, just the way life moves and keeps things going.

Our city is talking about shutting down equipment, and cutting back on personnel. It may or may not happen, but there is serious talk about it. In all of that, they are still making s few promotions.

A friend of mine just made Lieutenant and will be changing shifts and stations very soon. A different driver will replace him. He is (was) the SCBA tech for our shift. I don't know if you know or not, but I am the one who recruited him for that, when I was (unofficially) kinda-sorta in charge of our SCBA repair shop. When I made Lt., I moved and was no longer doing SCBA work. Now that he's leaving............


I'm kinda thinking about going back to it. It would mean going back to the station that I spent the most time at a single station at, over 7 years in one place. I like the district, I like the work, and I would be riding a fairly busy engine again. But, of course, there is a downside.

The crew there is pretty tight, and if I go I will be 'kicking out' their Lt.. They play a lot of X-box together, and are very active in the Fantasy Football leagues. I can foresee some hard feelings if I go.

On the other hand, one of the pieces of equipment they are talking about shutting down is mine. So if I stay here I end up swinging all over the city as a fill in.


I'm thinking about it......


Mr Fixit

1 comment:

Brigid said...

Whatever you decide, many of us will be having you and your family in our prayers. Tough times everywhere, one does what they need too.