Thursday, December 4, 2008

And this will help how?

I grew up reading for entertainment. At the time, and it wasn't that long ago, cable TV was unheard of, and we only got 3 channels on the TV we did have. To say the choices were limited would be an understatement. So it should be no great surprise that as I grew up, playing outside, and reading were major ways of passing time (although I confess to more of the former than the later).

Much of what I read were magazines; National Geographic, Popular Mechanics, Readers Digest, Field and Stream, and Outdoor Life. One of my favorite writers, and in fact the first one I can remember looking for by name, was Patrick McManus.

Pat wrote for Outdoor Life as long as I can recall. I loved (still do) his work, because it was down to earth funny. I wished (still do) that I could write like that. Outdoor life was for a long time my favorite magazine. It's where I developed my love for the .270, based on several writings in the magazine.

Some time a few years ago, Outdoor Life began to change. It wasn't just a hunting and fishing magazine anymore. They added bicycles, and rock climbing, and other 'stuff' to the magazine. In fact, they even had a definite "No Evil Black Guns" slant to the magazine. I was turned off then.

Well, now they have gone and fired the man who made me love the magazine in the first place.

I just can't seem to figure out how this will help the magazine. How can letting go of such a popular and prolific writer help? Next, I bet Field and Stream lets David Petzel go. Just because he seems (to me at least) to tolerate black guns, and will stand up and say we should all hang together or we shall hang separately.

What happened to hunting magazines that were all about, you know, hunting? Don't we have bicycle magazines, and rock climbing magazines.

Patrick F. McManus, I will miss you. I do hope you had the last laugh.

Mr Fixit

2 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

Besides Jim Carmichael, and in his day, Jack O'Connor, McManus was the best part of that magazine.

No reason to read it at all now.

Ultimate Ordnance said...

That's just stupid! Fortunately, he wrote a bunch of great books and they are still available on Amazon.com. My favorites are "They shoot canoes, don't they?" and "Into the twilight, endlessly grousing".