Wednesday, July 30, 2008

TANSTAAFL

I picked up the book today from the Library, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress I can't wait to get started, but first I have to finish the H.G. Wells I am working on now.

In addition to that, I am busy working on my latest crazy project experiment. I am looking into building a Hydrogen Generator to produce HHO or Brown's Gas, to use as a 'booster' on my diesel.

Anybody out there got any info on it?

No, not running the engine off hydrogen, but splitting water to produce HHO gas which is fed into the air intake to boost power and mileage.

I know, I know TANSTAAFL*. But discounts might apply.


Mr Fixit

*There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

3 comments:

Beaker said...

The Wikipedia article is correct... Most of the claims violate the laws of thermodynamics. It requires energy to separate the water molecules, more energy than you get from combining them again.

Medic3 said...

True that you can't get energy from nowhere. The question (and one that I haven't investigated) is whether one can make use of wasted electrical energy to separate out HHO which is then fed into the combustion chambers for slightly greater kinetic energy at the crankshaft. It is a given that energy is "lost" as heat in each energy transfer phase (hydrocarbon through combustion, water through electrolysis, etc) but it may be possible to increase the percentage of the energy that is translated into kinetic energy propelling the vehicle.

Then the question is whether this is worth the trouble. Any engineers care to tackle the energy utilization? I expect that you would achieve better results with an electric motor for regenerative braking and engine "assist" but that is also a much more intensive modification.

I suspect that you may get more function out of using heat off the exhaust manifold to warm the fuel in the lines, increasing the percentage of fuel that is completely burned rather than exhausted unburned or partially combusted. But that's just my from-the-hip guess.

DW said...

I read t"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" the first time about fourty years ago, and several times since.

The source of your gas, I assume will be on board. The energy to disassociate the atoms will probably, also, be on board. Try to find some effencicy in generating current, that does not load the engine, perhaps solar cells on the roof?