Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wondering

Marko reflected in a post several days ago about anonymity on the internet. Specifically, blogging with an alias, or nickname. I commented on that post, and have been going back to read the comments often. It is something I have been thinking about for a long time.

When I started this blog it was with the thought of "what the heck, I'll give it a try" type of attitude. I didn't know if anyone would read it, and if they did would they like it. Using Mr Fixit as my name was natural since I had been using that as my ID on several gun boards for years. In all honesty, it was also because if the blog failed my real name wouldn't be associated with the failure. It could have been something that passed into obscurity with relatively no one noticing.

Over a year later the blog is still here, and while I can't come close to claiming rock star status like some folks, I would like to think of my self as part of the sound crew. I would like to think that, so don't correct my delusions.

Now, here is the meat; Why do I still use Mr Fixit as my 'handle' on the blog? Does it, or would it matter to any of you folks if you knew who I am? Does that give any more credibility to the blog, or me? Does it matter at all?

I commented on Markos post that I use Mr Fixit because of the stories I tell, and about who I tell them. On one hand the details about patients have to be protected. So if you don't even know which city something happened in, or any of the paramedics names, I feel like the details are protected. On another subject, if the guys I work with find a blog with my name on it, and a description of something they did, they're going to figure out quite fast I was talking about them. Would they care? Would they be happy or upset? What if I poke fun at them? They are my friends (for the most part) and I would not want to upset them on purpose.

But with that thought comes this one; You folks, my readers, get an up close and personal look at me, through my stories. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's sad, and sometimes it's very personal what I post here. Does it matter if you don't know who I am? Or what I look like?

I really enjoy feedback from you folks. I love to see comments, even if it's just to say that was funny. This time I am asking for your comments on this.
Does it matter? Does posting under a real name give more credibility? What are your thoughts?


Mr Fixit

9 comments:

calvin ray and bubba said...

It is what it is Mr. Fixit, no need to fix something that isn't broke. Your a daily read for me and it wouldn't matter to me personally wether or not you revealed yourself. That being said, if you were to reveal more it would no doubt change the makeup of what you write because you would be more cautious for fear of offending someone who knows you. Just keep doing what your doing. Nothing to see here folks.....move along.

bubba

BCFD36 said...

Keep doing it the way you are doing it. Less chance of unnecessary self-censorship.

D. Scruggs

BobG said...

Your blog, your choice. We'll still read it whether it changes or not.

Mr. Fixit said...

Heh,

I'm leaning toward plausible deniability.

Mr Fixit

Gerald said...

I think most folks understand that you need to keep some things close to your chest. And I might add, there are some real as***les out there so it's probably best you do.

Ambulance Driver said...

Heh. Rock star?

Where are my willing groupies?

Maybe I should go trash a hotel room.

You keep writing, Fixit, and I'll keep reading.

Ambulance Driver said...

Heh. Rock star?

Where are my willing groupies?

Maybe I should go trash a hotel room.

You keep writing, Fixit, and I'll keep reading.

Ambulance Driver said...

Heh. Rock star?

Where are my willing groupies?

Maybe I should go trash a hotel room.

You keep writing, Fixit, and I'll keep reading.

Chris in SE TX said...

Well, in my opinion, using Mr. Fixit gives you MORE credibility, and here's why:
I believe there is a good reason for being anonymous on the blog. Someone who doesn't hide their identity invites problems, be it from their employers, friends, co-workers etc, ASSUMING their stories are true. If the stories are fictional, then of course, there would be no problems.

So, if someone is open about their identity, I wonder if:
a) are the stories true
b) is the author naive about their blog having no potential bad consequences in the real world
c) has the author not considered the impact his stories may have on others he interacts with and writes about. In that case, the author is kind of an asshole.

If the author is anonymous, all of the above disappears and I feel that he is smart enough to consider other people's feelings and real life consequences of publishing his real stories on the web. After all, if the stories were fictional, there would be no need for that, right?

Anyway, that's my$0.02 on the subject. Keep the change! (and keep up the good work)

(and for what its worth, I quit reading Marko's blog for reasons I don't care to explain here, suffice it to say, I tend to disagree with a lot of what he has to say)