Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Is this what they wanted?

I have attended what may be the most uncomfortable thing I have ever seen. Uncomfortable for me at least. You see, I am a quiet and reserved guy. Oh, I can be loud, and even very outgoing when I need to be. But for the most part I like being quiet, and doing whatever I do without fanfare or crowds. That is why Karaoke Dinner is not at all my style.

But this was not any just any karaoke night, oh no no no! This was (apparently) geriatric karaoke.

I guess I understand the teens and twenty-somethings going to karaoke night and singing their little talentless hearts out after one or ten drinks. Hell, at that point I might even listen.
But that was not my night.

Unbeknownst to my wife and I, the little steakhouse/burger joint and roadside cafe has decided that bringing in a karaoke set up one night a week is a great idea. We just happened to attend on the one night. I don't know if they were trying to lure in a younger crowd or not. But what they got was not younger.

The little one-room cafe was full of older, and I mean 50's and up, folks. I couldn't believe it. They passed the little book around with all the songs the machine had, and they kept getting up to sing!

[Rod Serling voice/]
Imagine if you will; A grandfather, white hair and beard. He struggles to the microphone with a cane, putting a cowboy hat on his head as he does. As he stands there wheezing, he begins to belt out the words to She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy!

Believe it or not, it got worse from there.

Mr Fixit

1 comment:

Gertrude said...

HAHA! Thats awesome! That mental image will keep me snickering through a long night on the box. Thanks.