Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Still working

Still working on the shower project.

I want to tell you folks a few things. I actually take not a small amount of pride in my work. It is very rewarding to complete a job and know it is done well. I was tickled when my mother-in-law first called me "a regular Mr Fixit" in reference to our living room remodel, and still proudly use that name as my nome de plume.

As I have previously said, I am very fortunate to have taken FFA in high school. In those classes in addition to learning about animals, I also learned about building. I learned about drafting, concrete work, roofing, electrical and plumbing. I count myself as blessed to have a father who had been a carpenters helper and knew woodworking. My grandfathers knew cabinetry and plumbing.

I tell you all of this because I want you to know that I am a master of none of these things. I am capable in doing them, but it is very hard for me to do them well. Maybe that is why I am proud of the work when I am done. But the truth remains that I force myself to work very hard at them in order to do only an acceptable job.

I have said all of this in order to tell you this; This shower project is without a doubt the hardest project I have ever done. And of course, everything has gone wrong. The old shower inset was actually a new shower inset because the shower had originally been tiled. There had obviously been a leak because the wood framing was damaged. To let you have an idea of what I have been up against, think of this: The shower is in the corner of the house, on two outside walls. I have replaced everything from behind the brick to the shower; framing, insulation, water pipes, drains, walls.

I have finally gotten the shower pan in (sloped morter bed, liner, morter). Now I get to start on the actual shower part of this project.

Let me just say, for anyone thinking about it: If you get a chance to do a project like this PASS!

Mr Fixit

3 comments:

Sevesteen said...

I had a bathroom project that started out as a minor update--A small bathroom where the toilet was mounted 6 inches away from the wall. The original plan was to put a smaller window in, and move the toilet back to the wall. The end result was a to-the-studs tearout. Replacing the galvanized pipes and drains with copper and PVC, (including the kitchen) tearing out the shower, putting the sink where the shower was, putting a tub where the toilet was, and putting the toilet where the sink was, plus reinforcing the floor joists where generations of plumbers had removed most of their wood.

Larry said...

Been there, done that.
But I got to do the floor, too.
All the way, including the joists.
For the entire bathroom, not just under the shower.
I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Sounds as though you're doing
marvelously. (And a Hat Tip to the
FFA from me, as well.)
Remember, the only difference between
an amateur and a professional is that
the pro knows how to cover his
mistakes.
Anon, Don