Friday, April 25, 2008

It ain't like you think it is

I have to tell you that I am not real happy. Not in a mad kinda of way, more like if I had a million dollars I'd be happy but I only got $1.46 in my pocket.

I posted a while back that I would be moving stations yet again. Well, I've been there for a few weeks now, and I am dying. The station has a Captain and engine crew, an ambulance, and me on the truck with my driver. The truck is sloooooowwwwwwww. When I say slow, hmmm, let me put it into perspective. In the last four 24-hour shifts I have worked, I have left the station twice. Of those two times, we have arrived on scene of an emergency once.

I am bored to tears.

The captain likes to do the computer stuff like daily rosters and the like. He likes to ride the engine which is more active than the truck. I have asked, and he has told me to "just hang out". I have no duties at all, other than being there.

Lots of folks poke fun at firemen. The standard joke is that we go to work and sit around all day doing nothing. The fact is we are fairly busy during the day. Even without making emergency runs, we have training everyday, as well as all the little 'upkeep' projects we have to do around the station. Depending on what station you are at, and how busy it is, the emergency runs may keep you from finishing your work until 6 or 7pm.

Everyone I know wants to get paid to do less work, it's human nature. Ask any landscaper if he would like to make the same money but work less. Same goes for computer guys, mechanics, and everyone else. But in all honesty, I want to do something. I want to get out an interact with the public. I want to make runs.

I can't even bring my hobbies in to work on. I could just see my captains face when I tell him I brought am AK-47 kit in to clean up and build into a rifle. Or I could watch his eyes bug out when I tell him I have an old 1911 to work on. See, my captain is a sports fanatic. He loves all sports (except like hunting, fishing, and shooting). He can, and does, watch sports center all day. That isn't making it any easier for me either.

The guys are all OK. Most of them are older and like the pace.

I'll have to sit and try to remember some stories from way back, cause I got nothing new to tell you, and don't look to have any if I never leave the station.

Mr Fixit

4 comments:

Chris Muir said...

It really is hard for people not to be doing something,it's the way we're built,I think.

Hang in there.

calvin ray and bubba said...

hang in there mr. fix. the old saying about "hw it's not as bad as you think it is" really is true. i've commented before but i never let you knew i had a blog with a buddy of mine.

Chris in SE TX said...

Sometimes it's nice to have a slow day, or be able to goof off for a few hours. But having NOTHING to do is very (mentally) draining.
Hope it gets better..... Otherwise, you might become an arsonist, just to have something to do! (let's hope not)

Detail Medic said...

I'm right there with you Lt. I'm begging to stop sitting around collecting a paycheck and put me back to work. Our vollies turned down the AWESOME work out equipment so we can't even do that. There's only so much you can do. I'm almost ready to start re-lanscaping the firehouse on my own.