Monday, March 10, 2008

Where are you, and why aren't you here?

When I'm at home, or just off duty, I'm pretty much in my own world. I don't watch TV, and only keep a cursory track of time so I know when to pick up the kids from school.

Friday night the youngest son's team began a basketball tournament. Nothing like watching 8 year old's in a 4 on 4 game. Saturday started bright and early with more games, which continued until early afternoon. Then home, and take the truck to the auto parts store for new batteries. Then I went to the local store for supper fixings. I let the youngest pick what I cooked. He first wanted crab legs, but I talked him down to fish and shrimp.

After a good meal of baked catfish, long grain and wild rice, steamed vegetables, and a bit of spicy "shrimp scampi", we all settled into the going to bed routine. Life was good.

Early Sunday morning I roll out of bed and start getting ready for work. I leave a bit early for once, and stop at a donut shop for a kalachi. About 15 minutes into my 1 hour drive in my Captain calls me. i thought he was gong to tell me he wasn't coming in to work or something. Instead he asked "Hey, what are you doing?"

"Driving to work, what are you doing?"

"Sitting at work, how long will it take you to get here?"
Pause






"Shit! the time changed didn't it!"



And so, instead of being early to work, I was in fact 30 minutes late.

I blame the government.

Mr Fixit

No comments: