Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Flat Stanley

first, the explanation:

Flat Stanley is the title character of the 1964 book by Jeff Brown. Stanley is a student in school, when one day a bulletin board falls on him, flattening him. He survives the accident, although he know is as flat as paper. Stanley learns to make the most of his new situation, and is soon using his "flatness" to slide under doors in school, be a kite for his brother, and other such fun. What really makes the book fun is that Stanley finds he can visit places all over the world by folding up and traveling in an envelope.

My youngest son is learning about Flat Stanley. Usually teachers use the Flat Stanley as a writing tool, having students write a journal about Stanley's adventures. My Son's teacher seems to be using it as more of a social studies tool. She wanted the kids to send it to family, and see who could send it the farthest. The idea of sending it to family is so they will participate I guess.

Here's the thing; I have family around the DFW Metroplex, over in Arkansas, Alabama, and even some up in Pennsylvania. Truth is I don't know them very well, which is to say that I wouldn't recognize them if they walked up to me on the street. Distant family as they say. \

I do of course know the family around the Metroplex, but that isn't sending Stanley very far. So here is where you folks come in. If you would be willing to "host" Stanley, let me know. I think it would be cool to see where all he might end up.

Here is the plan: I'll scan my sons Flat Stanley and email it to you. You print it, and take a photo (more if you like) of Stanley around your area. Then send the photo(s) and a short letter of where/what/with who Stanley did. I will of course accept e-mail returns, but my son really likes to get letters. Getting to open his mail and find a letter and photo of "his" project would really make his day.

And as a way of saying thanks, unless you don't want me to, I'll post the photos and participants here on the blog. I may even post a photo of the little one and me if that floats your boat.

Now, this is not a grade in school. He won't get anything for doing the project this way, neither will I. I just thought that this would be a good way to see how powerful a tool the Internet is, and to make it fun to learn about geography. That, and he gets to be the center of attention.

If you are interested in taking part, leave me a comment or e-mail me.

Mr Fixit

13 comments:

Mark said...

Send me Stanley in an E-mail and I'll see what I can do from the Corpus Area......

Larry said...

I'm in. Let's find out what Stanley can see in Raleigh.

Ralphd00d said...

Phoenix is in. I am sure we can find something around here for Stanley to share.

Walrilla said...

Send him on down, and we'll see what we can find in the Killeen/Ft. Hood Area. It's really close to where I actually live.

Walrilla

Ambulance Driver said...

Send him to me. I'll snap a few cellphone pics here in Baltimore, and in Myrtle Beach next month.

Strings said...

I'm not sure what else Stanley can see up here besides snow, but send him my way.

Gerald said...

He's welcome to visit Bangkok, Thailand. I'll send you my email.

Anonymous said...

I'll e-mail you and he can come visit me in Indy.

Lisa

Manda said...

Stanley is welcome here (Soldotna, AK) anytime. Everyone should see Alaska at some point.

Larry said...

Wow, Stan is going to get some real Thai food...hope it doesn't set him on fire.

Mr. Fixit said...

Hey Manda,

Email or comment and leave a me an email addy, and I'll send Stanley on his way to the Great White North.

Mr Fixit

jlwrites said...

Send Stanley up here. I live in south central PA, near Gettysburg. (Found this via Ambulance Driver, after lurking there, so you can thank him.) Can't guarantee that I can take him there, but I do live in a burg that has the distinction of being the only city burned by the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Email is my LJ handle at yahoo.

Dave said...

I'll show Stanley a good time in Pittsburgh! He can take a spin on my fire department's ladder truck. And if he gets here soon, he can go on a short plane trip with me, my wife, and my son!

wyman .at. wymanhq .dot. com