Thursday, January 17, 2008

Biopsy

A recap:

My wife had a mammogram, on which they found a couple of "spots". She was referred to the the Susan G Komen Center at Baylor Dallas for tests. In December, they repeated the mammogram, this time with digital equipment. With the newer equipment, they dismissed one of the spots as artifact, and found the other to be a blocked duct.

Unfortunately, they found a new spot. It had the "look". They wanted to do further tests, meaning a needle biopsy. Due to the ugly nature of insurance, you can't just go do that. It took some time and paperwork and referrals.

Yesterday they did the procedure. They drained clear fluid from the "spot" and pronounced it benign.

I don't know if I can fully explain the relief we both felt. She will be doing follow-up mammograms every year now.

Thank you all for the thoughts and kind words in both the comments and e-mails. I needed them. My wife made me promise not to tell our family or friends. She didn't want to be treated differently or anything until she new for sure what was happening. The bad side to that was that I couldn't share my feelings or burden with anyone.

So, on a very personal note, thank you all for being here for me to share with. I can't tell you how much it meant for me to be able to get some of it off my chest.

Thank you.

Mr Fixit

10 comments:

Walrilla said...

Hallelujah! That is great news!

Walrilla

Medic3 said...

Glad to hear that it was indeed a false alarm.

...But I'm hurt tht we're not your "friends." :wink:

BobG said...

I'm just glad everything turned out ok.

farmist said...

AMEN! Thanks for the update.

Larry said...

Great news!

Chris in SE TX said...

That's great! The relief you both feel right now must be incredible!

Ambulance Driver said...

Thank God. Great news!

Rabbit said...

Yay! Wonderful news.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Kate said...

Wonderful news! I've been where you and your wife were..(at least your wife, that is!) and there's no way to describe the fear accurately.

OK Katrina said...

Excellent!!! I'm so happy for the both of you.