Monday, November 19, 2007

The Hardest Part

AD, get your mind out of the gutter.

I have decided that the hardest part of a job is getting started. The second hardest part is finishing.

I don't mean that to be funny either.

In may case, I have talked about tiling the kitchen for several months. I've thought about it, debated it with my wife, even talked to a few friends who do tile. That's all well and good, but then I (we) decided to do it. That's when the hard part started.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to round up all the "stuff" you need to do a job like that? In my case about 4 hours the first day.

Lets see, tile, check.
Thin set mortar- check
water- check
bucket to mix mortar- ....
where's the bucket? I had the bucket. Search for bucket. Give up and buy a new bucket.
Trowel- che.. wait a minute, shit it's broken. How the hell did I break a trowel? I should have bought a good one instead of the cheapo one. Next time, I'll get a good one.
Go to store and buy the cheapest trowel they have cause hey, I only need it for one job.

And so it went. I only had half the stuff I was going to need to start with, and then I only found about three-quarters of that.

A bunch of searching and trips to the home store to get tools or what not and only then was I ready to even start.

So, the hard part is over. I started the job. The middle part takes the longest, you know actually doing the work. The second hardest part is finishing.

I've got the tile down now. Everyone who looks at it says it looks great, they compliment me on the job. I think it looks like shit. I'm not happy with it. I see uneven grout lines, tiles that are crooked, bad cuts. I'll be glad when it's done. It's the best I can do, but I don't like it.

One thing I want to say is thank goodness for knee pads!

I had a set from doing some floor work a while back. They were a fairly expensive pair with "gel insoles" and all that. I didn't like them. They had a flat on the front to match the floor. That was fine as long as you were square with your body, but lean a little to the side to reach something and the 'broke over'.

This time I got a fairly cheap pair of soccer style knee pads that kinda curve around the knee.
These I highly recommend.

I'm off to scrape the thin set off the tiles so I can grout.

Oh, an in case you're interested, 1000mg of Ibuprofen in the morning.
12oz Miller Genuine Draft prn.

Mr Fixit

1 comment:

lonnie said...

Mr. F,

Congrats on completing the first 2/3's of your mission. Don't scrimp on the price when you get a grout float and buy the good sponges. Change water often and when doing the final clean up save one unused sponge and add a quart of vinegar to the clean water and you won't get any streaks of grout left on the tile. Carry on.