Sunday, July 1, 2007

Did you know?

Did you know it is illegal to pass an emergency vehicle while it is driving with it's emergency lights and siren on?

It is in Texas.

Did you know Mr. Blue Camry teenage driver guy, that if you pass me while I am on the way to a child trapped in a auto accident, you will not only possibly endanger someone, but really tick me off because I have to avoid you?

Did you know as you pass said emergency vehicle you are in fact close enough for the driver (me) to see your license plate?

Did you know that if said driver (me) notes your license plate number, and gives it to a police officer working the wreck with a child trapped, said police officer might just get as ticked as I was?

And finally, did you know that it is possible for a police officer to follow up on a report of reckless driving and passing an emergency vehicle hours after the incident?

I bet, Mr. blue Camry teenage driver guy, by now you do.

Sometimes I just want to hug cops.

Mr Fixit

6 comments:

Bradley said...

Got to love young ricer drivers, that think the rules dont apply to them. Sounds like someone have a very large hickory deficiency.

BobG said...

I think that law is the same in every state. Hope he catches hell for it; emergency vehicles have sirens and lights for a reason.

Maserati said...

Speaking of speeders, here's Australia's new campaign against youth speeding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKmkIP1GCkw

Per-fect.

Brandon said...

I'm constantly amazed by all of the idiots that refuse to switch lanes when a cop has someone pulled over or ignore the traffic cones and try to drive into accident scenes. Bottom line is that too many people have driver's licenses that shouldn't.

Maserati said...

I've been saying it for years, the DMV doesn't shouldn't just be giving eye tests, they need to be giving IQ tests too.

I've actually seen this standard applied. Last time I had to take the written test I, uh, missed a few (I know it's an easy test, I was distracted). The nice lady grading my test looked up at me and said "I don't like this version of the test", then asked me if I owned a trailer or planned to buy one. I said no, and she said "you don't need to know that" and drew a red line through that answer and the red X next to it. Then she said "you got the decimal on the blood alcohol one wrong, how many drinks is that ?", "two, three if it's been more than four hours". One more red line later, "Ok, pass".

I'm not completely sure how I feel about that as a matter of principle, but at the time I thought it was pretty darn cool.

Edwardo said...

Is the law different in every state?
I was on my way back from the N.C. mountains this past weekend. After passing an on ramp I notice, in my rear view mirror, an ambulance with it's lights on merge onto the interstate and remain in the right hand (slow lane).
The ambulance continued to drive the speed limit with it's lights on.
I saw numerous cars pass the ambulance safely on the left while the ambulance drove the speed limit down the interstate. Seems to me if the ambulance was going to a call it would drive in the left lane of the interstate and keep up with the traffic. Maybe the driver was not aware the overhead lights were on?