Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Bits and Pieces

The order is in. So far, I've ordered a "semi drop-in" barrel and bushing set, beaver tail grip safety, trigger, and slim grips with bushings and screws. I'll also order a set of hammer/sear/disconnector with springs, I just have to find one I want.

JPG commented on the previous post, and I feel I should clarify. I'm not planning to do all I said. I was being sarcastic, commenting on what "those people" say should be done to make a 1911 run. I have talked to a couple 1911 guys and on the one hand, they seem to believe that the 1911 is the very peak of defensive handgun having been designed by St. Browning himself. On the other hand, they seem to think that the "standard" or basic 1911 is unreliable and not accurate and must be tweaked/bent/sanded/fixed and fiddled with just to make it run.

It can't be both ways.

On mine, I intend to fix only what needs to be fixed. The barrel patterns like a shotgun. I will fix that by replacing it. The hammer/grip safety bite. They bite me at least, so I will replace them with a beaver tail, and a commander hammer. I will do a few things just for looks too. But rest assured, I don't think I need to peen and tighten the rails or slide 'just because'. I also don't believe in full-length guide rods, so there.

Stick around and see what develops. And JPG, thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming.

Mr Fixit

3 comments:

GeorgeH said...

A GI 1911 is dead reliable.
It will also rattle like a box of washers, and shoot patterns rather than groups. It's the perfect combat weapon at 7 yards.

Once you start tightening tolerances for accuracy, reliability goes to hell unless everything is polished and fitted perfectly.

Strings said...

Hmmm... my 1991A1 Compact (Officer's Model, basically) is pretty accurate: I get sub-minute of badguy, which is all the more I really expect from a carry piece...

I've replaced trigger, hammer, grip safety, thumb safety, mag release and slide release so far: will be replacing sights next. Then maybe refinish (since it has holster wear more consistent with a WWII model)...

Reliability has only had two issues: when I allowed someone to talk me into a recoil buffer (can't use it on a compact), and semi-wadcutters (which MAY have been due to the aforementioned buffer)...

Mark said...

The only major thing my Norinco has gotten so far is a good set of pachmyer grips, and I'm still lusting after a Behlert Searand trigger, with a Bar-Sto Barrel and Bushing. That is all I have planned for it as it's actually quite reliable now and fairly accurate, just not as accurate as I'd like.