Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Praise The Lord and Pass the Ammo

I saw this in the paper today, and thought I would share it with my readers;
Students told to charge in an attack.
This is from the Dallas Morning News. A few excerpts:
The president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth has told male students there that in a situation like last week's Virginia Tech shootings, he would expect them to charge the assailant, sacrificing their lives if necessary.

Paige Patterson made the remarks at Wednesday's seminary chapel service, two days after the shootings.

"All you had to do was have six or eight [students] rush him right at that time and 32 people wouldn't have died," Dr. Patterson said of Seung-Hui Cho, who went on a lethal shooting spree, then shot himself.

The seminary president added: "You don't let things like that happen, guys. We just don't do it."
Dr. Patterson's comments have caused a buzz on Baptist blogs and Web sites, including EthicsDaily .com, which published a story about the remarks Monday. Some posting blog comments faulted him for implying criticism of Virginia Tech students who fled or pretended to be dead.
"My own perspective is that Christians – who believe that heaven is their real home and that they are prepared for eternity as result of a life changed by Christ – are even more obligated to act courageously and sacrificially. And I am still just old-fashioned enough to believe that men are responsible to protect women and children."

Sgt. Allan Baron of the department of security and university police at Texas A&M University would not recommend that someone without training charge an armed assailant.
"The best advice you could probably give to somebody in those type of situations is to look for a way to escape and get help immediately," he said.


I find it refreshing that someone like Mr. Patterson says things like this, and further refreshing that the Dallas Morning News published it.
I know folks like Lawdog and MattG, and even I have been saying this, but you expect that type thing from knuckle draggers. Even the pretty female knuckle draggers. Tamara had a great post about not giving up.

I find it particularly troublesome that the gentleman from Texas A&M would tell folks to just lay there and take it. I guess you have to have training before you can defend yourself.

What makes this different for me, is that this comes from a head of a pretty major school of Theology. His words and lessons influence lots of people who influence lots of people. And, this needs to be said by folks besides your everyday knuckle draggers. He is 100% correct, and that needs to get out.

Spread the word folks.


Mr Fixit


2 comments:

Sevesteen said...

"Let's Roll!"

If that were the norm, we'd have less of this. I don't know what my response in that situation would be, but it irritates me to no end that the official response is almost always "We don't recommend citizens getting involved".

scarlett said...

Yeah. I just discussed this post & Tamara's with a couple of my friends. We're all in college. I've never before considered not being passive. Now we're thinking...