Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Glock Story, or The Saga of The Rusted Glock

My Glock story at least.

I seem to have a reputation around the fire department as a "gun guy". Not sure where they get that idea. I've only actually only bought one while on duty. Receivers for home builds do not count. Neither do I count parts kits delivered to the station. Magazines don't even merit a mention here. And for the record, the local gun shop only called the station once to let me know they had received a new shipment of ammo.

Anyway, I digress.

One day a friend of mine brings me a Glock 17 to the station. He wanted to see if I could get it working for him. The weapon was rusted shut. I could not operate the slide.


Just as I was looking at it, we were called out on a run. I quickly stuck it on the top shelf of our food locker where it couldn't be seen, and left on the run. I forgot about it. Completely.

Several months later my Captain found it in the food locker. I don't think he shit his pants, but it was only because of quick sphincter reflexes on his part. There is a rule that is somewhat vague about firearms at work. Something like "under no circumstances will firearms of any type be permitted...including storage." My Captain follows the rules. He wanted it gone yesterday. Someone remembered that my friend had brought it up, so he was called at home and told to come get this thing now! My friend showed up and asked me about it. Only then did I remember. In a case of deja vu, we were called on another run just then. I told my friend to take it and put it in my toolbox on my truck, told him where my keys were and left.

I get the gun home and look at it carefully.








Yes Virginia, Glocks will rust.

As I said it was rusted shut. I stuck it in a can covered in penetrating oil and left it. I called my friend to see what the story on it was.

It seems it belonged to my friends uncle-in-law. He had quite a collection of firearms. The uncle began to suffer some of the symptoms of dementia in his advancing age. Finally, the family had to put him in a facility for care. He had no children, so the rest of the family came to take care of his belongings. They found firearms all over. Some were in safes, some were in closets. Some seemed to have been hidden such as in the garage behind the tools. Some seem to have been left and forgotten. This Glock was found in the yard, next to his shop, partially buried in mud, as if dropped or lost and forgotten about. The family told my friend he could have it, and he brought it to me.

My friend basically wanted to get it working, cleaned up as best it could be, and he planned on selling it. He really didn't want it.

After much soaking, and a round or three with a soft mallet, I was able to get the slide off. The insides were trash. The barrel was rusted and pitted in the bore and chamber. The Springs and small parts inside were rusted, several of the springs were rusted in two. I called and told him it would need at least a new barrel and all new internals, and would cost anywhere from $150 to $300 depending on what we did. I was working for free, just because I like doing that sort of work, and because he was a friend.

He didn't want to spend that much on it, so he said forget it. I offered to buy it "as is" and pay for the parts for myself. We agreed, and it was now mine. I continued cleaning it up and completely stripping it. I saw that the frame rails had rust and possibly pits. I called Glock, and sent it to them for inspection. Glock would not let it back out of the factory because of the poor condition it was in. They said it was unsafe. They did offer me a pretty sweet deal on my choice of a new Glock, or a used trade in. Since I was already out the money to buy the first one, I opted for the trade in. I asked, and received permission from Glock, to buy a used model 19 instead of another 17. They say OK, and as soon as they get a 19 in they will contact me.

Some weeks later, I get a call from Smyrna. Tech tells me he has a Glock 19 that just came in, and am I interested. I ask how it looks and what is done to it. He tells me it came in, and doesn't need any work. It is a second generation with just a bit of honest wear. He says "It's nothing I wouldn't carry." I say sure, send it to me.



I liked it right off. I like the size, and especially that it will fit in the IWB holster for my Glock 26. I take it apart to inspect it, and notice a few things.

I find a few parts of the slide have been polished. I wonder why. The breech face has been polished, as well as the underside of the slide where the barrel hood meets. The part of the slide that pushes the next round into the chamber from the magazine has also been polished.



All of this polishing has me wondering...why? I own a Glock 26 which has been 100% reliable. I have several friends and acquaintances who own and shoot Glocks. I have never heard of one of them that didn't work. So why would someone polish this weapon in this way? I truly believe that it was done to increase reliability, or the idea thereof.

Also, my understanding is that all the trade-in guns that come back to Glock are from police departments. So, am I to believe that this was an issue gun to a policeman, who polished it for reliability? Was it somehow unreliable to begin with? Was this gun used in competition, and polished for that winning edge?

The thing is, I have never heard of this polishing on Glocks for any reason. Is this something that is done somewhat regularly that I haven't heard about?

I am asking any and everyone who might have an idea. What do you think? Why?

Mr Fixit

2 comments:

Mr. Fixit said...

Comments section enabled. Sorry!

TD, the part you reference as comming polished from the factory: On my 26, the only other glock I own, it is not polished. Looking at this area on the 19, it looks as though it was honed with a stone. The edges are nice and sharp. The breech face on my 26 is likewise not polished. On the 19 it looks again as if it has been stoned.

Just saying

Ammo said...

Transformation is at the best for this Gun.