Friday, February 9, 2007

When I Grow Up

I don't normally watch television. I have satellite at home. The kids can watch cartoons, and the wife can see her soap operas she misses during the day. I have about one-hundred and fifty channels. I only need about three of them.

I like the History Chanel. I like it a lot. I also very much enjoy the Discovery Channel. I also watch the Military Chanel a bit. Other than those, there aren't any channels that I watch regularly. There are however a few individual shows I do enjoy.

And that friends, is where the Digital Video Recorder comes in. DVR, also known as TIVO to some, is great! As Lawdog says, it's great to live in the future.

I can set the DVR to record my favorite shows, and it will record them every time they come on.

The last few days, while recuperating, I made use of the DVR. I watched many episodes of one of my favorite shows, Magnum PI. I loved that show!
It started when I was just old enough to watch it, and lasted long enough to make a real impression on me.

In fact, when I was younger, I decided I wanted to be just like Magnum when I grew up. He had it all. He lived in Hawaii on a beautiful estate, drove a Ferrari 308, and got to meet some really attractive ladies.

He also had a Colt .45, a government model 1911. I wanted one then and I want one now. That may have been the first pistol I ever wanted. I have never owned one. I've never even shot one. But I want one even today. I hope to get one someday soon.

But more than that, I saw a guy who was honest, trustworthy, loyal, and brave; just like the Boy Scouts had taught me to be. He had friends. Friends he could count on, and who could count on him. He had fun, and poked fun, but even then he knew when to draw the line (most of the time). He stood up for what he believed in, and he admitted when he was wrong. Thomas Magnum was a good man, with good friends, in a beautiful place.

I guess I still want to be just like him when I grow up.

Mr Fixit

3 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

Oh yeah, I loved Magnum PI. I'm a big Tom Selleck fan, period.

My favorite episode - the one where he killed the old POW camp guard, Ivan. Loved that episode.

Mr. Fixit said...

Did you see the sun rise this morning.....

Greatness

Janean said...

I loved that show, too.
Higgins always siccing the "Lads" on "Thomas" when he was out late. :D
And T.C.'s helicopter rocked!
Too cool!