Monday, February 19, 2007

What Set Me Off

I'm sure there are a few of you folks that come here to read humorous stories about the fire department, or the funny things that happen on the ambulance. I'm willing to be that some of you came here and found several posts about guns and that Zumbo guy and thought "What the heck?".

Well, here's the thing. First it is my blog and I write about whatever. It is mainly about being a Fireman and a Paramedic, but it will also occasionally be about my family, or hunting or whatever else is on my mind that I want to share.

Second, I hate people that want to make rules for other people. What Zumbo did was to say that since he didn't use those rifles, he was OK with banning them. He didn't care about what other people used them for-he had no use for them so out they go.

I don't like that. I don't like that at all.

I don't like the fact that people who don't smoke are passing laws about where people can smoke. I don't smoke, but if a restaurant owner wants to allow smoking in his place, I say more power to him. If people don't want to be around smokers, go somewhere else! If there is really a market for non-smoking restaurants, open one up. If you are the only one that has "clean air" you will do a booming business. If you don't do so well because there is not that market, then why the hell should there be a law?

But back to the Zumbo thing. What really made me mad about the whole thing is that he was (and I hope I am correct in that usage) a writer with international readership. He was considered an 'expert' on hunting. He was in a position of influence, both of hunters and of the public in general. For a person in that position to use his blog and name to condemn a segment of the shooting sports is unforgivable. Because he was in such a position, his comments and opinions have done severe damage to a group of people that I love. My children.

My sons shoot with me. Remember this story I told about a shooting trip? They hunt with me (and some without me). When hunting, we use bolt action rifles for deer and like sized game. We use shotguns, both pump and semi-auto. We use (gasp) AR style rifles for varmints and target shooting. We use other military style guns-SKS's, Garands, Mauser's, and Springfield's. Our guns have wood stocks, plastic stocks, metal stocks. Our guns have bull barrels, thin barrels, short barrels, and long barrels.

To call for a ban on guns, the type of guns my family uses and responsibly enjoys, based on how they look fills me with such anger I can hardly describe it. The philosophy seems to be "If it's not they way I think it should be, it must be wrong."

Whether it is guns, or other legal products, we must not allow our own opinions to dictate what others may use. You are welcome to your opinion. I am welcome to think you are wrong. Neither of us is welcome to force the other to acquiesce.

Mr Fixit

Am I way off? e-mail me or leave a comment and let me know if you agree--thanks.

6 comments:

James said...

Dead on, Mr. Fixit.

I enjoy reading your blog, from the EMT/FD stories to the gun stuff, and the other things that come up. I'm a former volunteer firefighter and EMT, although my EMT certification lapsed years ago. I've been a shooter for the vast majority of my life, never been a fan of government sticking their noses where they don't belong...

Keep writing!

Sevesteen said...

I don't even own a rifle, and Zumbo ticked me off. If he weren't a gunwriter I might accept an excuse that he doesn't understand "hang together or hang separately", but that's not the case. The only other explanation is that he thinks by throwing scary black guns to the wolves, it will take longer before they come for his favorites. I know that if I want to keep my handguns legal, I have to support .50 BMG, hunting and bench rest, all activities I have little personal interest in.

Ambulance Driver said...

Well said, Fixit. America is fast becoming a Nanny State.

Chris in SE TX said...

I agree with you 100%. The funny thing is, the people that like to force their opinion on others usually don't see the correlation when they are the ones in the group that's getting the short end of the stick. (say, overweight people who think motorcycle riders should be forced to wear helmets (the injuries increase cost to society) will eventually get outraged when they are forced to diet or taxed heavily for being overweight (to pay the increased cost to society)

Amazing!

DirtCrashr said...

Good post, you are entirely correct!

DirtCrashr said...

Another thing about which this experience has openeed my eyes, how we have all these hunters here in California and yet we have a gun-ban that prohibits AR's and AK's and a ridiculously and practically surreal incompetent legislature, but one with no fear of a gun-owner backlash...