Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Plan

Have a plan.

I like plans. Plans make it easier, at least for me. They don't have to be great or elaborate plans, but any plan is better than no plan.

For example; wouldn't you think you would have a plan for the things you do most often? Like say eating?

It's just one of my little "things". I like to know what the plan for eating is.

Here at the fire station, you never know what you will end up doing that day. Maybe you'll get lucky and have an easy day. Maybe you have an easy morning, and then all hell breaks loose after lunch. Some days we train. Some days we have paramedic class. Some days we run all over the city.

But everyday we eat. Something.

Let me put it another way. Our department has SOP's, Standard Operating Procedures. They are plans, if you will, for what to do when things happen. We have plans (SOP's) for fires, car wrecks, EMS calls. Hell, we have a plan (SOP) for plane crash. How often does that happen?**

Why is it that some of these guys can't come up with a plan on what to cook/prepare/eat for meals until a half hour after meal time? When you are knee deep in the swamp is not the time to start to think about what to do if you get into a swamp. Plans damn it! Have some.

As far as the meals go, it doesn't have to be a big plan, or a big meal. Just tell me that for dinner we will have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I'm OK with that. Or maybe, in the morning, just tell me that tonight at suppertime, we'll get together and figure it out then. That's also OK, at least I know what to expect.

I think I'll go see if I can find some old bread and a piece of cheese now.

Comming soon, I'll help some of the rookies on the "what and how" to cook in the fire station.

Mr Fixit

**Note to EMS/Fire gods, sorry if I woke you. I was useing that as an example. Please please please don't crash a plane in my city.

1 comment:

Janean said...

UH OH, man! YOU did it now!
Three plane crashes coming right up...