Friday, February 2, 2007

You Believe What?

Let me start by saying that I am a religious man. I belong to The Church; I have been baptized for remission of my sins. I am not perfect by any means. I fail at "being good" often. I occasionally use language that would make a sailor blush. Well, a young sailor anyway.

I do not believe in magic, hocus pocus or witchcraft. I know the boogieman is not real (although there are lots of bad guys that are real).

Black cats? No worries.

Broken mirrors? Done it. Seven years- HA!

Walking under a ladder? Are you kidding me? I've walked under, climbed under, fell from on top of onto under, and rappelled under.

Friday the thirteenth? Just another day (and a pot load of bad movies).

But I will tell you right now there are a few things I know are true.

Things like teasing the fire/ems gods. Don't do it. It's bad. They don't like to be teased.
What do I mean teasing? Don't talk about how slow it is. Don't mention out loud how long it's been since you had a CPR/Shooting/Extrication/House fire. Sometimes the gods forget you are there. Be quiet, they'll notice you eventually. When you remind them, it angers them to know they lost track. They will make up for it.

Triplets- Things happen in threes. You may go for months with out a gunshot victim. Then all of a sudden you will have three close together. Haven't had a major car wreck lately. You have three in one shift. I swear in (at the time) ten years as a paramedic, I had heard of accidentally attempting an IV in an artery. I had never seen it once in those ten years. Then one day I saw it three times. And one of those times I was the one who did it.

Full Moons. Ask almost anybody in the emergency services about full moons. People get weird. Strange things happen. Babies that are weeks early suddenly decide to get born. Cars get stuck in trees. In trees! Normal everyday people go crazy and light themselves on fire.

Yes I am superstitious.

Just don't ever, for the love of Pete, walk into a fire station during a full moon and ask how long has it been since you guys have had a ________?

They will hate you. Especially after they do it three times.

Mr Fixit

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, Fixit, it does seem like Dallas FD has been kinda....QUIET lately. It just seems you guys haven't been very...BUSY.

Fear me...my Mojo is powerful. *grin*

Ambulance Driver

Mr. Fixit said...

In the immortal words of Charlton Heston;

"Damn you! Damn you to hell!"

DW said...

Nothing quite like wadeing in blood at the PD on a full moon Friday night.

Anyone who thinks the moon has no effect, stand outside a mental hospital on a full moon night. Those people absolutely HOWL!
Scarey

Kaerius said...

Bah DW, I've done that, and I'm sane... heck I've had wolves answer me! :)

I like wolves.

I'm not superstitious, but I think a large part of the crazy-people-at-full-moon thing comes from THEM being superstitious(if you believe people go crazy at the full moon, you just might.)

Janean said...

OH HECK YAH...and don't Ever, Ever, Ever say the "Q _ _ _ _" word...as in "Wow, it's SO Q.... tonight". Cuz you can lay odds in 5 minutes it won't be!!